Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Healing Rain

Have you ever noticed that when it rains,
 there is this freshness surrounding you? 
Almost a sense of starting over?


Around here, we get lots of rain. I don't know whether it's because Kentucky just cannot make up it's mind as to whether they want it to be summer or fall... It's kind of crazy if you ask me. 
Also, when I have to walk in the rain to get to class, it can get old really quick. Now, don't get me wrong. I love rain. So many wonderful memories in the rain... But getting wet when completely unnecessary? Well, that isn't my thing.


Surprisingly though, the rain here has provoked numerous thoughts:


1. Rain is a beautiful thing. Afterwards, everything is SO fresh. It is as if the flowers have decided to go on a revolt beforehand, and after the rain, they bloom back into their amazing beauty. The grass turns a warm shade of green. Everything seems new, un-touched, perfect, and lovely.
     "...he is like the light of morning at sunrise on a cloudless morning, like the brightness after rain that brings grass from the earth." -- 2 Samuel 23:4


2. I've got to throw in a funny, totally girl-thought before I get to the heart of why I'm even writing this... Rain, not going to lie, makes me think of the movie "The Notebook" and that one scene... Well I'm pretty sure most everyone knows what scene that I'm referring too. Cutest scene. Then it makes me think about my own life... And how glad I am for the wisdom that my parents are offered and given me throughout my "dating" years (if I can even call it that...) Because of my parents wonderful wisdom, I haven't made any decisions that I regret. They've nurtured me in a way that I have my head on straight, can make decisions for myself, and can stand up for what I think/feel. You won't find me throwing myself at guys just for the attention... Pursuing is not the girls job. Now I will just sit at my window and watch the rain fall, as I continue to wait and pray for the man God has for me comes along!
     "Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord." -- Col. 3:20


2. God's promise to us to NEVER flood the earth again. I've been asked recently what my biggest fear is... and my honest answer is: drowning. I don't know if that is because of my past as a swimmer, or what, but that legitimately is my biggest fear. But you know what I realized? If I drown, it'd be because of my own stupidity. God is never providing enough water to cause death for an entire world population ever again. He has promised to keep me safe. The light drops of rain constantly remind me of that. 
      "Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant   between God and all living creatures of every kind on the   earth.” -- Genesis 9:16


3. The song "Healing Rain" by Michael W. Smith has been stuck in my head for days now. The lyrics are as follows:
Healing rain is coming down
 It's coming nearer to this old town
 Rich and poor, weak and strong
 It's bringing mercy, it won't be long
Healing rain is coming down
 It's coming closer to the lost and found
 Tears of joy, and tears of shame
 Are washed forever in Jesus' name
Healing rain, it comes with fire
 So let it fall and take us higher
 Healing rain, I'm not afraid



To be washing in Heaven's rain
Lift your heads, let us return
 To the mercy seat where time began 
And in your eyes, I see the pain 
Come soak this dry heart with healing rain
And only You, the Son of man 
Can take a leper and let him stand 
So lift your hands, they can be held

By someone greater, the great I Am
Healing rain, it comes with fire 
So let it fall and take us higher
 Healing rain, I'm not afraid 
To be washed in Heaven's rain

To be washed in Heaven's rain...
Healing rain is falling down
 Healing rain is falling down
 I'm not afraid
I'm not afraid...

Just reading the lyrics give me goose bumps. You know what rain is similar to? Grace. (No, not me...) But God's grace. It comes right when we need it. Always. 
This also goes back to my point of being afraid of drowning... "I'm not afraid to be washed in Heaven's rain." God's power is way higher, bigger, and stronger than anything that we could ever imagine! We shouldn't dread it. He isn't this overpowering God looming down from Heaven with a shaking finger. No, He's this compassionate God that once we realize our weakness, then it is His strength that get's us through. There should be some aspect of a holy and reverent fear for the awesome power and healing of God, but no so much that we don't go before Him on our knees because we are afraid.

4. Last, but certainly not least, rain is a picture of love. God's love. My parent's love. My friend's love. All of it, all of the time, is poured out on me. Unconditionally. Thankfully though, rain isn't as constant as love. But without it (rain or love) life would be so difficult. If I didn't have those people come up beside me as an act of encouragement, or even discipline, I don't know where I would be. I am beyond grateful for all of it!



"God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for years, and light for the way"





1 comment:

  1. Another song that has to do with rain: MercyMe's "Bring the Rain." (I like the acoustic version.) It came up on shuffle last night, and I thought of this you and this post. The song uses the imagery of rain in a different way, but it's message has been powerful in my life, so I thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete