Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Grace, Grace, God's Grace

So you may be wondering... What in the world does this picture have to do with anything? Well... there is a funny story behind it [if you'd really like to know, just ask] but as I started thinking about it quite a few thoughts came to mind.
Let me start in the beginning though...
Chapel today really got to me.
Like REALLY.
What exactly is grace?
According to Webster's Dictionary [my trusty little friend] it is:
1) elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action
2) a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment
3)favor or goodwill.
4)a manifestation of favor
5) mercy; clemency; pardon


So what does this have to do with the picture or chapel? Well let me explain..


Chapel today was all about God's grace. This is a lesson that I've grown up hearing... Typical God's Grace is everywhere, blah, blah, blah.. Same ol' same ol. Now don't think that's a good way to go about looking at it, because it isn't. I'm just saying this is the attitude to have, as wrong as it was. Needless to say, I wasn't really expecting to get anything out of the chapel, as Monday's chapel just wasn't good... But God had different plans. I don't remember the last time I've heard such an enthusiastic pastor; so on fire for God; so wanting US to be on fire for God. That's to be expected though, right? At a Christian college? Well the speaker gave us no slack. But it wasn't by OUR doing that he was talking about it... It's through God's grace. 
Do you know how evident that is in our every day life? Seriously. Just think about it. 
It's evident even in us just waking up.
Evident in being able to walk around campus.
Evident in the friendships that I've made.
Evident in EVERYTHING.
God's grace is everywhere. But what really struck me today is how much His grace is evident in trials and pain. I've never really thought about the fact that through everything that I've experience God's actually been OFFERING me grace. I've thought of probably everything else besides that... Why not grace, you might be asking? Well, that's because I just didn't see grace in the situations that I've been through. Why is grace necessary in dealing with an anorexic sister? Why is grace necessary in moving states away senior year? Why is grace necessary when dealing with friendship issues?
Because God dealt with so much more with that so that WE may offer the grace that He gave us just a little glimpse of. There is nothing that doesn't involve grace. So often we need the mercy that grace offers us. It's how we respond to those situations, how we deal with them that requires the grace of God. Yet, even without realizing it, God gave it to me so unconditionally. Let me just say, I am SO SO thankful for that!
Today though I realized the extent of that grace. I couldn't have made it through those trials without it. The particular passage that the speaker used was 2 Corinthians 12:9, which says, "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." This is  said by Paul, who in and of itself has such an amazing testimony... He was willing to stand up throughout his trials because he KNEW God's grace was going to carry him through. If only I had used my brain a little more... But through this realization I realized how much easier it would've been if I had just relied on His grace. It's such a great resource, we just need to put it to use. 


So all that to say. While looking at the above picture I realized how much that is a representation of God to us. Through all of the crap that we go through, God is still there extending His grace to us. We don't deserve it. If in all honesty, God should have a major "cootie shot" because His extensions to us are so immense and overpowering, yet He doesn't mind. One bit. He just wants us to realize that it isn't through our own power that we are getting through it. Once we come to that, it makes like even better because then we DO know how we are getting through trials and tribulation! 
God's willing to "risk the cooties," or in other words, extend us the grace that we don't even deserve only if we are willing to accept it, and not only accept it, but accept it with Thanksgiving. 
Am I willing to accept the grace God has so generously bestowed upon me?
The song "Grace, Grace, God's Grace" has a whole new meaning.. Especially since the previous one was that of dislike because my parents always sang it to me when I was in some kind of trouble, they especially liked to do it at restaurants! So embarrassing... That's beside the point though :P God's grace really is greater than all my sins, all my pride, all my trials, all my weakness, all my worries, all my struggles, all my insecurities, all my LIFE.
Go listen to the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qGBULpVUDU
There, I even provided you with a link :)
But anyways... All of that to say I am so thankful that despite my stupidity sometimes, God STILL extends His grace to me on a regular basis!
Sorry, half of that probably doesn't even make sense... I was just kind of writing whatever came to mind because I hadn't blogged in a while! Thanks for suffering through reading it, or if you just skipped to end, thanks for thinking this had something worth while at the end! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment