Thursday, June 13, 2013

Making a Difference

*I'll preface with sorry that it's kinda long... God's really put it on my heart on how to make a difference and I couldn't help but share it all*


Whether it's physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, inwardly, or outwardly, we have the opportunity to make a difference every single day. And this is something I've been learning thus far this summer.

It's the small things that make the biggest different and all it takes is a little motivation, determination, and prayer.

Physically: I've found that by simply setting my alarm at 5:45am (with a little message that goes something like, "Get off your butt and go running!") that I am way more motivated to run my 3-mile neighborhood, thus making a difference in my physical body. Not that I enjoy it, because surely to heaven I HATE running, but I know that in the long run I'll thank myself for having the motivation and determination to do it faithfully. After all, God tells us, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." [1 Corinthians 6:19-20] Even if it means doing something I truly despise doing, it is because I truly want to honor God with my appearance and the way I take care of my body that I am WILLING to do it. Another verse that has made an impact on my heart as I am on this 'running journey' is Hebrews 11:11- "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." *Side note: I realize that this verse is talking about discipline of a father to son/daughter and how that is the role of my parents in my life, and I am in no way trying to twist the words, just applying them to a different situation.* Running sure isn't pleasant, rather quite painful as my calves burn just with the thought of running up and down the hills in my neighborhood, but I truly know I am becoming a better person because I am making an effort to make it a habit. I want it to make a difference in my life... Because God has made a difference in my life.

Mentally: Every day I have to get up with the reminder that I am dead until I acknowledge Christ's work in my life and that only through Him can I make it through the day. My days are challenging, especially dealing with two little girls who can give me a run for my money. I constantly have to be ready with new activities to do in case of boredom, or a response if one of the girls starts whining. It's exhausting and sometimes overwhelming. (I don't think I'm as ready to be a mom as I would like to be, ha!) But because I begin my day setting my eyes on Christ, I know I can get through it. "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed." [1 Peter 1:13] It's making a difference in my day to start out acknowledging the one who is giving me the strength to get through the day... And I want to continue making this difference in my life... Because God has made a difference in my life.

Spiritually: Since January 7, I have journaled and gotten into the Word every single day (save 2; 1 because I was dying [that may or may not be exaggerated...] in Nicaragua so I took some meds that...um... knocked me out; and 2 because I was out until 3 in the morning and ended up doing it first thing in the morning... I digress] and it truly has made such a difference in how I see God working in my life, those around me, and in my heart especially. It's unbelievable the truths God can reveal when I'm willing to set aside those 30 minutes every night to get closer to Him. "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls." [Jeremiah 6:16] This verse couldn't be more true of my walk with God. Each day I ask Him to reveal Himself in a bigger way to me, and in the process He is revealing parts of me that need changing, growing, stretching, and maturing, but all the while in a way that is leading me on the path that He has designed for my life. I so long for it to continue to make a difference in my life... Because God has made a difference in my life.

Emotionally: God knows everything. Absolutely, positively everything that I think, say, do, etc... It's almost intimidating. But because I have accepted this fact, I know that my heart can rest in His hands. "'Am I only a God nearby,' declares the Lord, 'and not a God far away? Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?' declares the Lord." [Jeremiah 23:24] Because I cannot hide from Him, I have that ability to rely fully on Him for everything that I am dealing with. I don't have to go through it alone, nor do I have to hold it in. I have found that when I take the time to write out my frustrations, fears, and struggles, God surrounds me with this overwhelming large sense of peace that He has it under control if I would just let Him. I want to continue to make a difference... Because God has made a difference in my life.

As I go throughout the summer, I get the opportunity to work with 2 precious little girls who soak up everything that I tell them. I want to make a difference in their lives so that they might be pointed towards Christ. Already I can see a difference in them, as they ask questions about God and Heaven- what an encouragement, and I'm only a week into nannying! But first I must strive to be completely the woman God wants me to be for them to see the potential they could be and see God through it all!

Wherever you are...might be...are doing...are struggling with... are aiming for... YOU can make a difference... Because God has made a difference in our lives.


"Remember me with favor, O my God." [Nehemiah 13:31b]

No comments:

Post a Comment